thumbnails

Since Opentools.de has now gone away I've created this forum to house FAQs and support for this mod in phpBB2.

Moderator: Experts

atomicrabbit

Post by atomicrabbit »

Ok so. I cannot edit the phpini file because the hosting is on a shared server and editing it will alter the php for everyone else on that same server. Therefore, they do not allow editing the php.ini file. I'm not 100% sure how to code the line for max_execution_time in htaccess.

Is this correct. Do I place this in a .htaccess file:

Code: Select all

php_value max_execution_time 60
Also, which directory do I place this in? the root directory? the attach_mod directory?

I read this on another site:
This will set the time limit to 60 seconds. But if you are not allowed to change php.ini, it is doudtful that you will be allowed to change the value of max_execution_time in a .htaccess file. If you can do it, however, then the .htaccess method gives you the flexibility to set different time limits in different directories - and thus different scripts that reside therein.
ALSO, why would I not have had to change this value before the crash on my hosting? I'm so frustrated that this all happened in the first place because I had the functionality working perfectly, to the 'T' . :(

Is the attach mod currently using GD to create the thumbnails? If so where is the setting for this?

Is there another script that I can use instead of GD that will allow the user to add images larger than 2mb (imagemagic ?) ? Preferably something with a status bar instead of waiting for the browser to respond with its somewhat inaccurate status bar? The reason is that the moderators/users of this forum are VERY computer illiterate. They also don't know the difference between a 200kb image save from a website and a 2.5mb photograph taken from a high mega pixel digital camera. I wish I remember how I accomplished it before. I thought my backups were recent but they weren't recent enough.
*atomic.rabbit
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

The only thing GD and Image Magick are used for is in the creation of thumbnails. Not sure what you're thinking either will do. My only explanation as to why you're having to do this now is because the host set up the new server differently than the previous. Also the host may allow usage of .htaccess but not of php.ini for settings override...depends on who's setting it all up. In any case what you wrote is what is needed. Put the .htaccess file in either your forum's root folder or the site's root folder. Once you do that check your pinfo.php page again to see if the setting changed on there (it should if the .htaccess method worked).
atomicrabbit

Post by atomicrabbit »

DavidIQ wrote:In any case what you wrote is what is needed. Put the .htaccess file in either your forum's root folder or the site's root folder. Once you do that check your pinfo.php page again to see if the setting changed on there (it should if the .htaccess method worked).
Ok I created a .htaccess file with EXACTLY what I wrote in my last post, no more, no less. Once I uploaded it to the root directory (which btw, is the same as the phpbb root), I could not access anything from my site. It just displayed a blank page for every page I tried to visit on the site (even the pinfo.php page)

Once I deleted the htaccess, everything started working again.
*atomic.rabbit
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

...that just means that the hosting provider doesn't allow the use of .htaccess files :(
At this point your best bet is maybe asking them to increase the script execution time. I don't see how it would be a bad thing in any case... if you're using a Windows host then IIS settings may need to be changed instead.
atomicrabbit

Post by atomicrabbit »

ok. Sounds good. Btw, I already opened a support ticket with the hosting to talk about htaccess files. So we'll see how that goes.

I'll keep you updated!
*atomic.rabbit