Failed Sending email - Such Excitement!

I will no longer provide phpBB2 support due to phpBB2's EOL announcement. If you need help with phpBB2 you can try phpBB2 Refugees.
FrankRizzo

Failed Sending email - Such Excitement!

Post by FrankRizzo »

When new users try to register, they get the error:

General Error
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

Now, before everyone tells me to check my SMTP server, let me explain a few things first:

Even though they get this error, they still get an e-mail saying that they have to wait until the account is activated by an administrator. The problem is, the administrator (me) never gets an e-mail, so that's why the error is coming up. Note, since the newly registered user is getting an e-mail, I don't think it's an SMTP problem.

Furthermore, I have two phpBB boards up and running, both on the same server and the configuration settings are the same. The other board works fine, no errors. Unfortunately, this board gets this stupid "failed sending mail" error. Anyone know why?
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Is the forum's default e-mail set correctly?
FrankRizzo

I don't know . . .

Post by FrankRizzo »

I'm not sure. Is there a way to set the e-mail forums to default?
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Let me rephrase that...I meant the Board's default e-mail which is in the board configuration screen in the ACP.
FrankRizzo

Sendmail?

Post by FrankRizzo »

Hi David,

The php boards are down, so I can't figure out what the guys who host my virtual server are talking about. Can you make sense of this:

"We do not support SendMail. You will want to use SMTP server for email along with the IP address of 127.0.0.1 or use "locahost" as your SMTP server. The following link has more information about setting up the SMTP server in PHPbb.

http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section3_2_2_7

That link is broken now. Is there something that you can point me to that would help me in setting up e-mail with phpBB?
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Re: Sendmail?

Post by DavidIQ »

FrankRizzo wrote:Hi David,

The php boards are down, so I can't figure out what the guys who host my virtual server are talking about. Can you make sense of this:

"We do not support SendMail. You will want to use SMTP server for email along with the IP address of 127.0.0.1 or use "locahost" as your SMTP server. The following link has more information about setting up the SMTP server in PHPbb.

http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section3_2_2_7

That link is broken now. Is there something that you can point me to that would help me in setting up e-mail with phpBB?
I was under the impression that you were already using SMTP. This feature is located in the board configuration page near the bottom of said page.
FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo »

Hi David,

Sorry, I know the SMTP server, username and password fields are located at the bottom of the control panel, but I cannot get the phpBB board to send e-mail, no matter how they are configured. It doesn't matter if I reset them to factory reset, use "localhost" as the SMTP server or the IP address as SMTP server, I keep getting the same types of errors . . . is there a public SMTP server that I could use or something?

Any suggestions or help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
FrankRizzo

PROBLEM SOLVED

Post by FrankRizzo »

Just to keep you up to date . . . even though my ISP does not officially support SMTP for php, I was able to use "localhost" as the SMTP Server Address and check "yes" to "Use SMTP Server for email" in the "Configuration" section under "General Admin" in the Administration Panel. I had done this previously, and was still getting errors.

What solved the problem, however, was that I needed to go back into the "Management" section under the "User Admin" portion of the php Control Panel, look up the Administrator Username and go back in and give that Administrator a valid e-mail address. It is not set up by default and needs to be done in order for the SMTP mail function to work! :D

This may be obvious to some people, but maybe not so obvious to others (like me), so I thought I would post a follow up for anyone else that may find this information useful.

Thanks again for all of your help!
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Wouldn't have thought of that actually. Since the board is set up with the default e-mail address automatically being added to user 1 I was thinking it would be ok in both locations. Weird. Anyways...glad you got it sorted out.