Email account activation

Need help with your forum? Ask away. Remember though that there's always http://www.phpbb.com/community

Moderator: Experts

nvme2976

Email account activation

Post by nvme2976 »

I used PHPbb a few years back for a forum I had. I am not sure if it was version 2 or 3 but in that version I was able to enable a feature that allowed me to approve of a new user before they had access to the forum. I can't seem to find where that is. I see "Account Activation" in the user registration settings but the only options I have is disable and none. Is this feature still available in phpbb 3.0.7? ALso I noticed while signing up for this forum that there is an email activation for it. Is this a feature in phpbb 3 or is this a mod? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nick
wagesr4free.com
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Re: Email account activation

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes those are all default features. When you go into the ACP you should see them all under "User registration settings". The very first item will be "Account activation", which is what you're looking for.
nvme2976

Post by nvme2976 »

Yeah I saw that but I only had disable and none. Then I realized I had not turned on board wide emails. Got the options I was looking for. THANKS!
beeboard

Post by beeboard »

I have heard of some mods that place extra spam filters on here as well so you don't get a third of the activations from spammers...
Clair

Post by Clair »

its good for us so that we can stay away from spammers.......
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes, absolutely. On this board there are additional means of preventing spam. For instance regular users can't edit their posts. Some users are disallowed from using their signatures, etc. All of these silly tricks spammers try to use to put their junk out there.
There is a new breed of spammer now though, one which makes it difficult to spot them since they are actual people sitting at a PC doing these posts. Clair, for instance, is likely a spammer which is why their signature permissions have been revoked. Tell tale signs include the bumping of really old topics and having replies to topics that are vaguely coherent with the rest of the topic. I would watch out for these sorts of spam tactics.