Why was my post locked?

Random thoughts place for anyone who wishes to vent or talk about anything that's not phpBB related.
Random American

Why was my post locked?

Post by Random American »

Hi David,
May I ask why my post was locked? I wasn't planning to edit it or anything, and I'm not complaining. I'm just curious.
Thanks,

RA
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Re: Why was my post locked?

Post by DavidIQ »

1. It's a suspicious post which most times indicates you're coming back to edit and create spam.
2. Why are you trying to edit your post? Makes #1 completely true.
Random American

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 am 1. It's a suspicious post which most times indicates you're coming back to edit and create spam.
2. Why are you trying to edit your post? Makes #1 completely true.
I wasn't actually trying to edit my post. I was just trying to figure out why the edit and delete buttons disappeared by getting the system to display the error message, as I didn't know what happened at first. Also, if my objective was to spam, wouldn't it make more sense to make a new post with the spam rather than edit a previous one?

Regardless, if you think I'm a future adspammer, you are free to wait for the spam that will never come. I understand your suspicions, but in this case, they are not true.
One of this forum's only active members.
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Well if you're not going to spam then great! But the scenario where a post is made and some time later that "user" comes back to edit their posts and replace the contents with spam is something that happens all the time and is just another tactic spammers use to circumvent the filters that are in place.
Random American

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm Well if you're not going to spam then great! But the scenario where a post is made and some time later that "user" comes back to edit their posts and replace the contents with spam is something that happens all the time and is just another tactic spammers use to circumvent the filters that are in place.
Understood. I just wasn't familiar with that tactic.
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

No worries, thanks for asking. Just FYI though there is also an edit time limit set. After an hour posts become un-editable.
Random American

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:08 pm No worries, thanks for asking. Just FYI though there is also an edit time limit set. After an hour posts become un-editable.
Understood, thanks for letting me know. Sorry for the late reply.

Am I the only one here who posted here recently (other than you) who didn't do it to spam?
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Random American wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 am Am I the only one here who posted here recently (other than you) who didn't do it to spam?
Yes... :evil: