AttachMOD FAQ

Since Opentools.de has now gone away I've created this forum to house FAQs and support for this mod in phpBB2.

Moderator: Experts

DavidIQ
Site Admin

AttachMOD FAQ

Post by DavidIQ »

If you're getting:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: include_attach_lang() in .../admin_attach_cp.php on line 52
when you go to your ACP or anywhere else on your board then you haven't done any of the edits listed in docs/install.txt
If you've done those and are still getting this error then you've missed the edit done to common.php

Tried to upload empty file or No post mode specified
This error is due to restrictions on upload_max_filesize and post_max_size implemented by your hosting provider. If YOU are the hosting provider then you'll need to change the values for both of those variables in your php.ini file.

If you would like to see what the values are set for your site simply put this in your text editor:

Code: Select all

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
save as phpinfo.php and upload to your site and open the file in a browser and then look for the two settings.

Some hosts allow the overriding of these values using .htaccess files. You can try this at your own risk. If your host does not allow the use of .htaccess files then you'll get a 500 internal server error and will need to delete the .htaccess file to regain accessibility to your website.
To create a .htaccess file open up notepad or a text editor program and enter the following information in it:

php_value upload_max_filesize 128M
php_value post_max_size 128M
save it as .htaccess, and place it in the root of your website then refresh the site. If you get the 500 server error then you can't use this method. Don't panic...just delete the file.

Another option would be to place the following in notepad or your favorite text editor:

upload_max_filesize = 128M
post_max_size = 128M
save the file as php.ini and upload to your site's root folder. Check your phpinfo.php file to see if anything changed in either case.

Your only other option would be to contact your hosting provider to try and increase these values. Sometimes they will...other times they won't.

I uploaded a file and it didn't attach but it did upload. What's going on?

You most likely have a posts redirect mod which skips over the actual posting of the file to the topic. Remove that mod and you're good to go.
nesrin

Re: AttachMOD FAQ

Post by nesrin »

hi,
we tried to install AttachMod with Easymod, but we couldnt. Because there was no Attachment Mod on Easy mod installer screen.

Can you help us.. ?
Attachments
image006.gif
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

The instructions are not easymod friendly. You'll need to search for Attachment mod on the Area51 forums over at phpBB. Someone there took the liberty of adapting them to EasyMOD.
mr_india

Post by mr_india »

Dear sir

My attachment mod is working ok. But it is not allowing upload of a file more than 2Mb to any member. Even I tried to keep the setting as unlimited.Same file I can attach as an administrator. No isues with hosting provider as max values as per phpinfo are 64Mb.

Please guide me.

Regards

PRADEEP
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

What exactly does it do when you try?
mr_india

Post by mr_india »

Dear DavidIQ

Suppose A forum member try to attach a .pdf file of 3MB with his message. It gives a message " Too big file. Max allowed 2MB " . The same file if I try to attach with my meaasage, the attachment is ok.

Means it is allowing attachment of a 3MB file to the administrator, but denying it to attach to a member(non administrator).

I have changed max allowable limit to 'unlimited' through attachment admin. As per phpinfo.php file max allowed is 64M

Let me know whats need to change ?

Regards

PRADEEP
mr_india

Post by mr_india »

Dear DavidIQ

problem solved. It was admin (my) mistake. In 'Extention group control' max file size was set to 2MB.

Regards

PRADEEP
ComDevTeam

Post by ComDevTeam »

I'm having the usual "Tried to upload empty file" issue.

I've gone in and edited my php.ini file to no avail.

Support from my host says that the php.ini file is directory specific - but there's only one php.ini file when I search my whole site (I've a blog, wiki, and forums).

So if it's directory specific wouldn't I already have multiple php.ini files within the sub folders of the forums for the various mods?

If I do have to plop the php.ini file into another directory to make it work - which directory would that be?

Forum?
Attachment mod?

Any insight would be wonderful,
Thanks,
Chris
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Put it in the files directory. Tipically it applies from the directory it's in to the sub-directories but it seems that's not your case...
ComDevTeam

Post by ComDevTeam »

DavidIQ wrote:Put it in the files directory. Tipically it applies from the directory it's in to the sub-directories but it seems that's not your case...
Hmm, no dice.

It'll still handles uploads up to that original 2mb limit.

While it shows up in phpinfo.php as 20mb - it acts like it ignores my changes when trying to add those attachments through the forum.

Perhaps as another poster said, the upload_tmp_dir is messing things up, but I'm not quite sure how that fix should look like.

**edit**

OK, fixed now.

Here's what happened:
I've got my root folder with
sitename/blog/
sitename/forum/
sitename/wiki/
and php.ini was sitting at sitename/php.ini

I copied it to sitename/forum/files/php.ini with no change in behavior.

Once I copied it to sitename/forum/php.ini

it all worked.

Not sure how much of a beginner mistake that is (am a beginner at this).

Thanks for your time (and hope that helps someone else!)

Chris
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Duh...that was my mistake. It needs to sit in the directory of the script that needs the change so the script actually lies in the root of the forum. Good deal.
RussKaos

Post by RussKaos »

Hello,

I just wanted to post a quick thank-you message as this has been doing my head in for a few hours and the tips I've got on this site have been really helpful and helped me solve the issue, thanks all.

Russ
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Hello David, I hope you can help me with this one.

I´ve update from a clean pre-installed (by my webhost) 2.0.22 version to version 2.0.23 and it worked just fine. Then I tried to install the attachment mod (with the premod files as well) from the phpbb forums and I get this error msg: "message_die() was called multiple times. This isn't supposed to happen. Was message_die() used in page_tail.php?" every time I try to access the forum index now. So I searched a little and found this support forum, downloaded and installed the premoded files for 2.0.23 and also the premoded files for the theme NoseBleed which I´m using, but still the same error msg.

I´ve installed the attachment mod once before with the Saphic theme on another forum and that went great so I thought it would be a piece of cake this time as well, but now I´m stuck and I hope you can help me find the problem!

Do I need to reinstall everything or is there an edit I can make on the pagetail.php file perhaps?

I´ll pm you the link for the forum.

Thanks in advance!
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

How did you do the update? Did you upload and replace all your files? You might need to repeat that step again. If you tried uploading through Dreamweaver then try using a regular FTP program to do the uploading.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

DavidIQ wrote:How did you do the update? Did you upload and replace all your files? You might need to repeat that step again. If you tried uploading through Dreamweaver then try using a regular FTP program to do the uploading.
Thanks for your quick answer.
I extracted the files and uploaded them with an ftp program, I will repeat it and see how it goes.